Saturday 1 September 2012

New Hamster!

Today I bought a new hamster!

I had been thinking about it for a while, and it seemed like the right time to get another one. I set up the cage and got everything ready for the new hamster, and went to the pet shop I got Lolly from. We went at around 2.30pm, but took a while choosing so we left the pet shop at about 3.15.

This is not replacing Lolly. I loved her and I will always miss her, but I think it is time to love another pet.

It was so hard to choose when we got to the pet shop!
I think there were around 13 hamsters for sale- most of them being from a litter born on the 20th June.

I wasn't sure at first if I wanted a girl or a boy, but in the end I decieded on a girl, seeing as Lolly was so lovely and I have had other lovely female hamsters when I was younger.

We came across a two cages with some lovely fuzzy little hamsters, which were mixed between long and short haired; meaning that they were cute and fuzzy, but there won't be a big problem with matted fur when they're older (though they would need to be brushed as they grew up).

One caught my eye right from the start.
She peeped her head out of her little house and ran around her cage a bit. She then knocked her wheel over and started climbing on it excitedly.
She had a brown head and a brown bum, with a brown stripe down her back. The middle of her body was white.

The one that caught my eye in the shop
We looked at all the hamsters for a good half an hour, but in the end we choose the little fuzzy brown and white girl, 10 weeks and 3 days old, born on the 20th June.

We told the staff which hamster we wanted, and they told us to finish shopping and when we went to the tills the hamster would be brought to us (so that the hamster wasn't in the travel box too long meaning that she would be less stressed).
We bought all the cage necesities that we needed, though we already had new bedding and sawdust Lolly hadn't used, so we bought food and toys along with a few other treats and things.
Then we went and payed, and I got my little hamster.

The chosen hamster settling into her new home
We haven't quite chosen the name for her yet, though we think we will call her Willow.

Other possible names include:
  • Nutmeg
  • Iris
  • Cinimon
  • Poppy
  • Hazel
  • Summer
  • Heather
  • Popcorn

Hope you liked hearing about the new addition to the family and sorry this post was so long: I just had so much to say!


2 comments:

Please feel free to comment, all comments are welcome!